Thursday, May 03, 2007

Welcome

Hello friends, welcome to this Blog site for our son Luke Duval. Please feel free to post your comments and messages here. We will post updates periodically to keep you informed of Luke's progress.

As you know, Luke suffered a brain hemorrhage from a burst AVM on April 14, 2007. The AVM is on his brain stem. The hemorrhage has stopped, but the damage done is very similar to a stroke. It has left Luke with the biggest challenge of his young life. A challenge he is now taking on with all his might and faith. The AVM itself is still there and will have to be dealt with in the coming months, but right now the doctors are concentrating on recovery to get him strong and functioning again.

Thank you all again for your tremendous support for Luke and our family, and especially for your prayers. Your support keeps us all going, and most importantly keeps Luke going knowing that so many people care about him and are pulling for him to make a great recovery. He is at Mercy General's Acute Rehab Facility at 39th and J. Right now he has about 2-3 hours per day of speech/swallowing therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy. He is making good progress speaking. Half of his mouth, tongue and facial muscles are numb and not working right now, but they are teaching him to compensate for that and to exercise those muscles and nerves and push their limits. Doing this allows him to get words out pretty well, and they are getting a little bit clearer each day. They have also started him chewing and swallowing ice chips. Swallowing is one of the most sophisticated things the body does. It requires a lot of coordination and timing. They are trying to get this back as soon as possible so that he can get off the feeding tube through his nose and begin eating/drinking on his own. They are very careful about this because if food or drink goes down his windpipe into his lungs instead of down his esophagus, that is obviously bad. He does have a pretty good swallow which is improving slowly. In a few days they will do a berium swallowing test to give a picture of how it's working. If that shows a safe swallow, then they will slowly increase his food and liquid swallowing over time as he can handle it. In typical teenager fashion, has asked for pizza. That was great for us to hear! Hang in there Luke you will get there.

During physical and occupational therapy they get him out of bed and into a wheelchair. Right now he is concentrating on beng able to sit in the chair, maintain balance, hold his head up and straight, and increase his stamina of doing all these. It is grueling for him and completely exhausts him. But each day he seems to get a hair better at it. They also wheel him down to the gym and do some arm and leg exercises, hand exercises, coordination things with objects to lift and move, etc. His left arm and leg continue to be numb and very weak, but he can lift them a little and squeeze his left hand and wiggle his left toes. The right side is much better with movement and feeling, but is also still very weak. His hearing is affected, left ear doesn't hear so well right now. His eyesight is also affected, he sees double and fuzzy. They think this is due to the pressure in his brain and on the nerves which control eye movement. This can take a while to get better, hopefully it won't be too long for him. He can see the TV up on the wall though and we've watched a couple of innings of ball games together. Last night we also watched his buddy Fernando Vina on ESPN's Baseball Tonight. A big THANK YOU to Fernando and Coach J.D. from PGHS for arranging for Mike Bibby of the Kings to visit Luke last week! We didn't tell him Mike was coming so he was pretty shocked when he walked into his room! Mike is a good man. Brought Luke a signed basketball and a signed high school jersey from his high school -- Shadow Mountain HS in Phoenix. Very cool. Luke dug it. Mike and Fernando had great words of encouragement to Luke, telling him to stay strong and battle. We have no doubt he will. He has always been a hard worker in school and in sports, he is very determined and that will help him a lot. He wants to get back to school and keep that 4.0 going.

Thanks to all of you who have come to visit Luke when he was at UCDMC and since he's been at Mercy now. He enjoys the visits, he likes seeing his friends, teammates, coaches, and the parents who have come. You are all welcome to come visit, but please call Susan or I before you do to see if he's doing well enough for you to come. One of us is always there. The last two days for instance he has had a fever which jumped to 103.5F along with chest pains, which was a scare. All his tests have checked out good though (blood, EKG, chest xray, CT scan, etc.) so they don't know what is causing this. They are controlling it okay though with a chilled blanket to reduce core body temp and with medicine. The medicine for this is a little sedating so it's going to reduce is ability to do the rehab work until they get him off it. Hopefully he won't have to be on these meds for too long. He is also in pain meds for his constant headache pain, and those make him a little sedated. The doctors require anyone who enters the room to wash their hands with the sterile handwashing liquid to the left of the doorway when you enter. Just rub it up and it evaporates on your hands.

Thanks also to our neighbors and friends Tom and Julia Franzoia who have done so much to help at the house with our other kids you just wouldn't believe. Julia also organized a schedule of dinners to be delivered to the house every Mon/Wed/Fri and has something like 70 dinners scheduled by all you good people. Thank you everyone who is paricipating in this, it helps A LOT. Thank you also to friends Kevin and Pam, Debbie, George and Lisa, Craig and Laurie, Tom and Lisa, Tim and Michelle, John Procida, and so many others for the nice cards, gifts and helpful things you have sent and done for us. Sorry I know I'm missing many others here. The long term support of good friends is invaluable and we appreciate having it from you all. Sorry we aren't crossing paths much to be able to tell you thanks in person, just know that we have seen and used everything you've sent and we appreciate it so much.

That is the update for now. Will update again in a week or so and will try to post some pics of Luke and of the Bibby/Fernando visit. Thanks and God bless.

Tom and Susan
Our phone numbers

38 comments:

duver17 said...

Keep battling Luke. We are praying for your speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing you behind the boat landing that big air whirlybird soon. We love you. Aunt and Uncle J's and your knucklehead cousins.

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke (c/o Mr. and Mrs. Duval), this is Ms. Dawson (Honors Algebra 2). I know school is probably not the first thing on your mind right now, but I still hope I can give you one less thing to worry about. Regardless of whether you are able to come back this year or not, you will still be given the A- you had when you left. I just want you to concentrate on getting better, God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say stay strong and hang in there Luke. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day for a speedy recovery. Keep your sense of humor and strong will and you will be back at PGHS in no time. Ms. Berens, PGHS Site Controller

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,

I shouldn't reveal favorites, but you were one of my favorite students at Smedberg. You were always a focused and determined pupil. I know that your drive to excel will lead you to brighter days. I am thinking of you, and I am sending all the positive forces your way.

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke! You probably don't remember us very well. I think the last time we saw you, we were hanging out at your house and another time at the Manteca Water Slides. Really... I promise, there are even pictures! Anyway, we anxiously await your dad's emails to hear of your progress and will be checking the blog often. We know that your hard work in rehab therapy and your great attitude will produce excellent results. During your recovery, be strong during the hard days, proud of yourself and grateful for the good days and know that soon you will be home with your family. We know that you have enough good thoughts and prayers being sent to you, including ours, to last 10 life times. Love to your mom, dad, brothers and sister, too!
Ann, Lou, Michelle, Melissa & Chris Bayol

Anonymous said...

Dear Luke and family,
You are all in our thoughts and prayers daily. I don't know Luke personally but have seen him at the high school, dances and church. I do know that he is amazing! I am grateful to get these updates on his progress. We will continue our numerous prayers.You are all very courageous and strong. Keep battling Luke, we are all so inspired by you.
In our hearts,
Ron, Susan, Everett and Ian Start

Anonymous said...

Luke, my name is Lin - I am Paul McGinnis' aunt (Nancy's sister). Nancy shared your story with me and I have been praying for you. I am so impressed with your resolve! I work at Mercy General, and I wanted you to know that you are in the right place. Mercy has an outstanding Acute Rehab unit and I know they are going to get you back home soon. Keep working hard - you have many people that you don't even know pulling for you! God bless you.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Hello Luke,
Like my mom said in one of the previous posts, you may not remember me but I sure do remember you from "back in the days." One of the memories that stands out the most to me is playing around with you and Nick at some tennis courts when you must have been just about four years old. I have thought about you and your wonderful family over the years and I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. I wish you nothing but the best in your recovery:)
Michelle Bayol

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke and Duvall family! I have nothing but positive thoughts for all of you and you are in my prayers. It is obvious you are being blessed daily. Although, I wish this never happened to a more undeserving person, this challenge could not have been given to anyone more capable of handling it. You are the teenager I always wished I was. I hope you recall the crazy stories of my youth last year...they were all true (really...I never exaggerated)and I lived through some very challenging times! The experiences made me stronger and you will be a real force in this world for having risen to this challenge. I'm looking forward to coming by and sharing some more of them with you soon. Take care. Mr. Sellstrom

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke, you are doing great man! I got almost all of Christian Brothers praying for you and your family. I know you will make a full recovery bud, keep it up...Love The Rappleye Family

Chris said...

Hi Luke have not seen you for years, but remember you running around the baseball fields when our kids were playing bambino baseball. wanted to let you and the family know we are praying for a strong and well deserved recovery, stay strong.
The Capel family

Mike Martel #22 said...

im praying for you luke. what you went through effected everyone, and were all in this together. get better real soon, because we all miss you and we need our #1 third baseman. god bless.

mike martel
#22 (when i was still playing)

Anonymous said...

Luke and entire Duval family...you are in my prayers and thoughts daily. Keep fighting strong each of you...Love, Puentes'

Anonymous said...

Luke and Family,
You are always in our thoughts, and we continue to pray for you daily. Your courage and your determination are to be admired. We used to tell God how big our storms were. We have learned to tell our storms how big our God is. Hold on to your faith, and He will see you through. God bless you all.
Love,
Debbie, Courtney, Donnie and Brandon Pettenger

Anonymous said...

From the Rappleyes

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Luke and your wonderful family. Though we haven't seen each other much these past years, our love and admiration for you and your family has never waned. Some of our greatest memories and greatest friends were made on the soccer fields every Saturday with the Terminators...and you guys did some serious terminating! We love you and are praying for you. You are a fine young man. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Luke and family,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. It's a tough row to hoe but a row none the less. Stay strong and keep the faith. Your family and friends all love you. God Bless you.

Jim,Ingrid,Chelle,Carlie,Luke and Logan

Kamrin, Ben, Lexi and Grant Mello said...

Luke and Family -
We are friends of your Aunt Nancy's in Paso Robles and have been thinking and praying for you every day! Sounds like everything is moving in the right direction for a speedy recovery! You are so strong - keep up that hard work!
God Bless - The Mello Family (Ben, Kamrin and kids)

patvernon said...

Luke you have been in our hearts and prayers since we heard of the AVM, and will be there always. I can still remember when you and Nick were born. It was a sad day when your family moved from our neighborhood. I have always wished that your Dad never bought his camera so I could still take the Christmas card picture. You are surrounded by love and strong people of faith, you have a wonderful family and extended family who will always be behind you 100%. We hope to come see you soon, just want you to be able to concentrate on getting stronger. Love and prayers, Pat and Vernon Vincent

Debbie Hottman said...

L ~ Laughter
U ~ Unconditional Love
K ~ Kindness
E ~ Encouragement

All of the above words made me think about you when you were a student at Pleasant Grove Elementary School.
My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!
Stay strong like the Tiger Spirit at P.G. Elementary!
Thinking about you,
Ms. Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,
Spencer and I have you in our prayers. We were discussing the fun times you guys had going through Pleasant Grove and Smedberg together. If you need a good laugh I'm sure Spencer could help you along with that. You know what a silly guy he is.
Speedy recovery and keep the faith.

Lisa Schuster and Spencer Christy

Anonymous said...

hey luke, its jolene and i havn't came to see you since saturday, but i know that my brother went in today. i wrote you a note that is up in your room and i know that you are going to get better! you and nic are brothers to me and i love you like one! get better so that we can go where the grass skirts and coconuts in hawaii! i love you luke! get ALL the way better!
love jolene

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,

Much love to you and your family, especially your mom & dad. I think of you and pray for you every day - that you will have a speedy recovery. When you're feeling better, I'll bring Glenn to visit. Marianne Akerland

Smrekar Family said...

Hi Luke and the entire Duval family
You are all in our thoughts and prayers.We pray for God to give you the strength you need each day as you face each challenge.Continue your strong work ethic and determination.I am looking forward to the day we see you at ST. Josephs taking up the whole pew. Keep your faith,God is at your side. Love Jim ,Sue,Christopher,Ryan,Amy and Matt Smrekar

Mark said...

Hi Tom and Susan: My name is Mark and I heard about your son Luke through Coach Alicia who coaches the girls soccer team at Pleasant Grove. I am personally moved by Luke's situation because I also experienced an aneurysm (AVM)in 1983 at age 17. I am now 41 and I can relate to Luke because I was very active in competitive soccer as a teenager when my AVM ruptured on the field. If you would like to meet me, I am here to share my story and offer you much hope. I know the road you have ahead of you all to well. My faith in God along with the prayers of my family and friends is what got me through it. I fought in my recovery, just like Luke is fighting right now and over the course of that first year I improved greatly. My speech improved over time, I got most of my vision back, and I learned to walk again. Through exercise I worked to build on the parts of my body that were weaker from the AVM. Many years later, I went on to marry and have two beautiful sons of my own. I would be happy to meet Luke if you'd like and if you think sharing my story with him would help him. I am happy to share whatever part of my story you think you would find comfort in. I live here in Elk Grove and my cell phone number is 916-337-0584. Call anytime you'd like to talk. My entire family is praying for you and yours. Mark

Jason said...

Luke,

Jason Hamilton here. I am looking forward to the day you and I can team up and whoop on joe and luc in basketball again. Until then you will be in my thoughts and prayers. You have not met her, but my girlfriend Melanie and her family are praying for you as well as I am sure my parents are. Keep up the battle, and I hope that I can get back to Sacramento soon and say hi.

Tom and Susan,

You know my parents live just down the street and since all of us kids are out of the house they are are surely suffering from the empty-nest syndrome by now. If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to contact them.

Best,
"Hammy"

Anonymous said...

I am Mrs. Walker, English teacher at PGHS. I have never had the pleasure of having you as a student but I want to let you know that Pleasant Grove High School thinks about you on a daily basis. It is a wonderful thing to see the outpouring of generosity and prayers for you. You have obviously touched many people in your life. You and your family are in my prayers. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke!
Congratulations on all your hard work and successes so far. You truly are a fighter and someone to look up to for the strength you've shown. Use that and rely on what you have inside you. The heart, mind, and sould of the athlete and person you are is rare and will get you there. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Please know that you've got many people sending you lots of love, good energy, and strength every day. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Trainer Julie

Anonymous said...

Hello to Luke,

Our family is sending our prayers and get well wishes to you from the Chicago area and the High School Baseball Web. A good friend of your baseball team sent us an e-mail describing your ordeal.

Having seen the photos and having read the comments above mine it is obvious that you are a great athlete, a very good friend and teammate to many, a smart and successful student, a wonderful son and brother, and a kid with a tremendous sense of humor.

All of these attributes will serve you very well on your journey towards a full recovery.

I can tell you that I'm even a bit jealous of you...your teacher, Ms. Dawson, reported that you were receiving an 'A' in Honors Algebra. My algebra grade was on the other end of the grading scale...and that was in college!

God bless you Luke. You are surrounded by loving friends and family...all of whom are there for you.

The Ely family from suburban Chicago

Anonymous said...

Hey, Luke!
It's your long lost teacher Mrs. Link(used to be Miss Hondorp.) When I heard about your hospitalization, my first thought was if anyone can overcome this, it's Luke. Hold tough. You will be in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Luke, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for a speedy recovery. I know how strong you are and know you are up to the challenge. Our days and memories go way back with you and Nic. Thinking back to our days with the undefeated Terminators, we all know how much courage you have and look forward to seeing you soon.

Stay strong,keep the faith and know we are 1000% behind you.

Love, Coach Rick, Joan, Kyle and Christopher Venegas

Anonymous said...

Luke

You and your family are in our thoughts & prayers. Stay strong and determined, we know you have the will.... We are looking forward to seeing back on the field. The boys need you!!!!

The Gastelum's
Dan, Prescilla, Devin, Peyton & Landon

Anonymous said...

Hey, Luke
I'm a mom who read a little about you on the High School Baseball web site...see people all over the country are checking on you and praying for your recovery.
I love the pic with you on the wakeboard...my son also plays baseball and goes boarding when he can.
You sound like you know that nothing worth having comes without hard work so keep pushing yourself and know that there are no limits when your faith and mind stay strong.
I wish you all the best.
Shelly B.

Anonymous said...

Luke, prayers for you and your family from a family in Atlanta. I found your blog via a post on the High School Baseball web site. We are a bunch of folks who are crazy about baseball and I think we truly appreciate great role models like your self. Kind of funny though, if you go on the High School Baseball web site message board and type soccer it will automatically be transformed to ******.

Yeah, we are a little weird about other sports. It sounds like you have a great support network from family, teachers and friends and when needed lean on them – they want to help. I will be praying for you from the Bible Belt – maybe that will help a bit.

God speed my friend.

Anonymous said...

Hello Luke,
This is Sarah from Capital Engineering. We've been keeping track of your progress and keeping you in our prayers. I'm praying for the short road to recovery over the long road. I believe you can do it. I pray this scripture for you...Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which trnascends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
God bless you Luke ><))>

MMK said...

Luke and family, my husband and I are in a home group with Steve and Sarah Donatelli. We are updated regularly on your progress and want to let you know that we are all praying for you.

God is mighty.

Love, Mara and Manley Klassen
Oxnard, CA

Anonymous said...

Luke, you are a great inspiration to us all. You're in our prayers: individually, collectively, morning, noon and night. We are so happy to hear of your progress. Be certain that God will continue to give you the strength you need to face each challenge. As part of your PGHS basketball family, we know you can face adversity and come out a winner :-)
Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Luke, Tom and Susan,
You are an amazing family and such a true inspiration to all! Luke the progress your making is the signs of true CHAMPION AND FIGHTER....Keep working hard (as if you would'nt). We love all of you, I constantly asked how your doing by people who know you and that we are part of the PG Eagle fmaily, I am so happy to pass on the progress! You are in our prayers daily.
God bless to the Duval family,
Susan Harlow